One of my favourite treats that not only is healthy but also tastes great (not to mention makes the house smell amaaaazing) are these fast and frugal baked apples. It literally takes less than 5 minutes to prep, then pop them into the oven and in less than an hour your house will smell like hot apple pie and you will have a tasty treat to enjoy!
Apples (1 per person) I usually use Gala apples but feel free to experiment with other varieties
Almond Butter (Approx 1-2 TBsp per apple) Peanut butter wont do here 🙁
1) Preheat oven to 350 F
2) Line a baking dish with Parchment paper (very important step as it will be messy clean up otherwise)
3) Core the apples
4) Place cored apples in the baking dish on top of the parchment paper
5) Fill the middle of the apple with almond butter
6) Sprinkle cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg on top of the apple, as desired
7) Bake for 45-50 minutes or until apple is very soft when fork inserted
8) Remove from oven, cool slightly, then enjoy immediately
It’s simple to make, requires only a few (healthy) ingredients, and can be enjoyed by many, even those on restrictive diets. (Think gluten free, sugar free, vegan, paleo etc).
If making just one or two apples you can easily make these in a toaster oven if your’s is tall enough to fit an apple in it (I’ve had a few toaster ovens and not all of them accommodate a whole apple) It makes a delicious breakfast or a cozy treat on a cold blizzard day (yes those days are coming sooner than we think!)
This is one recipe you have to try at least once! I think you will be pleasantly surprised!
*Some links in this post are affiliate links- this does not mean you pay a penny more for the product when you purchase through this link. It just means I made it easier for you to find what you might like and if you purchase through the link I make a small commission for the referral. Thank you for helping support our blog!